Sunday, July 3, 2016

A Look Around The Garden


Before going onto more areas it might be a good idea to take a look around the garden to see where I'm at right now.  To start the ball rolling, this is what I have to work with:





















So what I have is the raised bed out front and next to it then some of the beds on the side of the duplex we see on the right.  thanks to the generosity of those next door I also have all of the back yard next to the back fence.  So let's start there:


So, you get to see one of the reasons I can garden.  I use an old chair from the short time I was confined to bed by my back.  but what we also see is the work table I share with the housemate who prefers to grow flowers.  The biggest feature in the garden here is the Seminole Pumpkin plant, which grows all the way across the back space from the left to the right and climbs right up out fence.  The size of the leaves which mostly get partial light are awesome!  And that's just the one plant.  On the left we see one of the trellises I put together this year for my tomatoes.  The Pumpkin Plant is in the grow bag the vertical part of the frame on the left is.


This is a closer view of the same trellis taken not long ago showing the growth of some of my tomatoes at that time.  were going to take a look at a couple of closeup photos of them next.

This is the same trellis now:

 

 And close in to see some of the tomatoes on one of the plants.
And this is one of the cluster of flowers on another of the plants.








This is at the center of the back garden and these are Tiny Tim Tomatoes I have in a five gallon container along with some Genovese Basil.  these are the tomatoes I'm currently enjoying.








This is a potted set of Rainbow Coleus plants I am keeping on the worktable as an ornament at the moment.  They're a little something I put together because my wife loves Coleus.  A little later I'll save the seeds and plant again next year to keep them going for her.

Moving along to the next area, the one at the back of the side of the building:


These are some Aloe plants a neighbor gave me when i happened upon them dividing a ton of them for his sister.  So he asked me if i would like some and gave them to me.  Next to them on the left is a container of lettuce I'm growing for cut and come again harvesting.  And to the right we see some leaves from a Scarlet Sage plant.  Behind that we find:


This is the other trellis I made and it has both pole beans and tomatoes running up it.  For some reason the beans gave me plenty of flowers, but no beans.  I don't know if it was already too hot or what went I planted them.  I'm hoping to do better another time.  In front of those we find:


Bunching onions!  These were originally planted in that green container several years before I got started and then left alone until I started gardening and the ladies spread them out in the container.  I've enjoyed them for several years now and decided to divide them up and planted some in the other container and some along the front of my other bed.  Planted behind them are Morning Glories and we can see some French Marigolds to the right.  Those are part of my efforts.


This is the bed at the front of the side.  It is planted along the lines Dr. Lind Scott-Walker of the University of Seattle, WA, recommended to me when I first planted this bed.  The near part is oriental vegetables with Chinese Cabbage and Bok Choi planted, the Cabbage in front.  My lettuce and carrots are n the distance there and some of the lettuce is bolting.  As you can see I do have some weeds i plant to do what is called a chop and drop on. But the real problem children are the grass rooting its way in and Dollar weeds doing the same from the other side.

 Now we're around front and see the 3x5 raised bed which is a little underutilized right now.  It does have peppers, the ones in the back are Habenro Peppers and in front of them are some California Wonder peppers I think.  In the front corner is a small patch of Spicy Oregano.

Another view of the of some of the peppers and the sweet potatoes planted beside them.  The Habanero in the pot is in its second year of production and popping with fruit.







And those are containers of Beauregard Sweet Potatoes and the red one in the back has my Moon and Stars Watermelon plant.

 I failed to mention when we were around back that I have another kind of Sweet potatoes growing behind the Pumpkin plant.  They are volunteers from some I grew last year I'd grown from one Sweet Potato I bought in the store.  I also have Bee Balm, three kinds of Basil and a Tiny Tim Tomato plant in the same bed.  The Tiny Tim was a volunteer which sprang up in the front bed and which I transplanted to the back.
 The flower at the left is a Seminole Pumpkin flower.  The Seminole Pumpkin is the variety the Indians grew right here in South Georgia and took South with them as they fled the forced deportation to the West.  After they became the Seminole and started profiting from gambling the pumpkin became a wild plant which grows in the Everglades.  I got the seeds for these from a gardener on E-bay who is growing them and selling the seeds to those interested in keeping this old variety going in gardens.


And the red flowers are an attempted close up of the Scarlet Sage Flowers.

Well, that's it.  That is my small garden I am working with and how I'm doing with it right now.  So I wish all of you the best and as always:

Smile!

4 comments:

  1. An impressive garden bro. Stanley! I only wish I could do such things with my backyard; I wouldn't know where to start or even how... especially on my limited income... do you have suggestions on how to begin a garden???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sis. Lori!

    If you have a yard where you can garden you really have what for me has been the most expensive part out of the way. Usually the best advise is to grow what you like to eat first. That tends to cut down on cost somewhat. My friend at MI Gardener sells a nice little starter kit for $10 and I shamelessly plug him since I've gone to him first for garden supplies since he expanded from a Youtuber and started a seed and supplies business online. Another Youtuber, I think it was CalKim, got with him about starting the kit and she did a video series on using it from start to finish where she helped a friend of hers who wanted to get into vegetable gardening through the first season using the kit.

    MI Gardener deals in heritage vegetables only, which means you can save the seeds if you learn how and save yourself seed start-up costs down the road. He sells them for 99 cents a packet and that is often reflected in the number of seeds because heritage seeds don't come cheap, but it sures beats paying upwards of $7 a pack or even more he could sell some of the varieties he grows himself and could sell in the standard package sizes for that kind of money. I know of one variety of tomato he sells for that same 99 cents which he is the only US supplier who has it, the Orange Roussalini.

    In a yard just pick out a corner in the back if you have a fence which had good light and get a shovel and take the sod off and hill up some rows a little and plant. it is better for the lettuce to find a spot that is partially shaded, the same with kale. Probably the cheapest way to handle the tomatoes and cucumbers is to go to a big box store and get some electrical conduit with a few corners and Tees and put them up and run twine down from the top horizontal bar to stakes next to the plants and train the vines up the twine and prune them properly.

    If you don't have a yard. Then start out small with a few containers and get what you like best and grow them in those. For tomatoes you'll want to get tomato cages.

    Above all things keep it simple in the beginning and use what gets the easiest results. So don't be afraid to use good old Miracle-Grow both for soil for containers and for fertilizer overall until you start gaining some skill and are ready to learn how to use organic methods. But starting out small on a limited budget is obvious.

    I have limited space I can use, though it does look like I utilize it well, I try to. A few unexpected gifts of cash along the way helped me to get the soil I had to buy for my containers, some of the organic fertilizer I used and one of the trellises I set up along with the webbing for the second.

    MI Gardener's channel on YouTube is a fount of information on how to grow a vegetable Garden. Add it to your YouTube subscriptions and use it. You won't be disappointed.

    https://migardener.com/store/first-garden-starter-kit/

    ReplyDelete
  3. An impressive walk through your gardens. They are beautiful and sensible!! I may have to try a couple of herbs. I do have Rosemary growing. It's hard to tend too much when we are on the road...but I'm working on it. I get lots of enjoyment from it

    ReplyDelete
  4. An impressive walk through your gardens. They are beautiful and sensible!! I may have to try a couple of herbs. I do have Rosemary growing. It's hard to tend too much when we are on the road...but I'm working on it. I get lots of enjoyment from it

    ReplyDelete